Monday, May 24, 2010

Underwater Colour

Whilst trawling It's Nice That I came across a feature on Jill Greenberg's Underwater series. She's tagged "The Manipulator" because of her digitally enhanced photography which verges on surrealism. I didn't realise it but I actually knew a lot of her work- the crying children in End Times and the countless advertisments, fashion editorials and celebrity portraiture which always has an unsettling, if not sinister quality. However, Underwater is new to me and I think it piqued my interest because of the amazing colours (electric blue anyone?) and that the whole idea is layer upon layer of artificially enhanced nature. The pool is a man-made body of water, reflecting unnatural colours, and the subjects are manipulated and their movements stylised to an extreme.



(these images from Ambient Art Gallery)





(these images from photoshelter)



If these models look surprisingly co-ordinated it's becuase they are actually members of the American Olympic synchronised swimming team. To see more of her work, have a look at her online portfolio at Manipulator.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment