Friday, July 23, 2010

Delinquent Children

An array of clashing checks, waistcoat jumpsuits and punk style t-shirts greet the visitor to A Child of the Jago, the conceptual retail brainchild of Joseph Corre (the man behind Agent Provocateur) and Simon "Barnzley" Armitage. They describe the label as "a child of the street. The destitute and illegitimate progeny of a hopelessly rundown environment". To be honest I didn't really get that feeling when I first entered the store, but perhaps it was something to do with the fact that it only sold menswear so I was wrong-footed from the start. In fact it wasn't until I was about to leave that a gentleman in suspenders, a top hat and a single leather driving glove recommended I visit the downstairs area.

What I found down there was a veritable Victorian dungeon of delights, complete with dim lighting and a slightly musty smell. My eyes slowly grew accustomed to the gloom, revealing a mad mix of antique furniture, clothing and other random objects with no discernable use.


Metal rails hidden in bare brick nooks proffered patched-up french cavalry uniforms and Edwardian nightdresses. A faded british flag poked out from a plumage of ostrich feathers and Dickensian top hats. Three battered helmets sat atop an old radiator, and while I peered through one of the racks I was entirely surprised by the fact that behind the clothes there was yet another hidden room, almost entirely in darkness yet I could make out a torn chaise lounge covered in a victorian ball gown and an indeterminate number of muddy army boots.

A lamp constructed out of a Hells Angels prosthetic leg.


So often these concept stores come across too contrived, too insincere or too precious. A Child of the Jago was none of these things. The store had an amazing atmosphere but also had the goods to back it up (legitimate antiques rather than the junk which passes for vintage these days) which makes all the difference in terms of authenticity. I know some John Galliano disciples who would die to see this so if you're lucky enough to live in London, go visit it now, and if not do the next best thing and check out the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment